American Indian Heritage Month

By Karen Gavis/managing editor

Nov. 14 Emmett Brown, an elder with the Sac and Fox tribe, will present teepee setup demonstrations at 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. in the Main Commons. Students can discuss Native American culture and history with Brown, and Tomazane Tonips will display Indian artifacts.

Nov. 14 South Campus will celebrate Native American Heritage Month with a storyteller, a performance and free food noon-2 p.m. in the SSTU cafeteria.

Nov. 14 Choctaw History and Demonstrations will be held 2-3 p.m. in the Galley (NSTU 1506). Anthony Thompson will show students how to play rabbit stick and stickball and discuss tribal life prior to removal from Indian lands.

Nov. 15 NE dance professor Linda Quinn will explain how powwow dances promote unity within the community in Necessary Circles 2-3 p.m. in the Galley (NSTU 1506) on NE Campus.

Nov. 16-17 Students can attend a retreat on NE Campus designed to connect or re-connect to Native American culture using reflective practices, storytelling and circle dialogue. Native Circles Retreat will be held 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Friday and Saturday in the Galley (NSTU 1506).