Summer plans underway for students

AUSTIN FOLKERTSMA
senior editor
austin.folkertsma@my.tccd.edu

For most,
the spring semester ending means catching up on some much-needed relaxation, and for others, it means visiting family, going to summer camps and working.

NW student Elizabeth Stillwell is going to be volunteering at a theater camp this summer in Arkansas.

“I will be using a lot of the things I’ve learned from Intro to Theater and practicum at TCC, and I’m doing this through my American Heritage Girls troop,” Stillwell said. “We’ll be touring a stage, performing with walk-on roles in a production and learning about the different careers and terminology in theater.”

Stillwell said the members of the American Heritage Girls will get a chance to practice set designing and scriptwriting. 

She said this is the second year the program is being run.

“Even though I was never a theater kid due to my schedule, I’m hoping to use my knowledge to give the next generation’s actresses an unforgettable and educational experience,” she said.

Newly elected Connect Student Government Association President Hannah Cottrell plans to relax during the summer.

“I’m going to be visiting my grandmother in Abilene and also attending an SGA meeting in Orlando, Florida, which will be held for the new and old SGA officers to help them establish/continue their government,” Cottrell said. 

NE student Spencer Steves also plans to have a relaxing summer like Cottrell.

“This summer, I plan on working, spending time with friends and even concentrating on getting closer to the lord,” Steves said.

NE student Patty Gamez plans to focus on creative pursuits. 

“I plan on working, hanging out with friends and expanding my knowledge in music and creating short films,” Gamez said. 

NE student Ashley Shaw has no plans yet for summer, but she wants to go swimming.

“I’m leaving TCC after this semester, and I’ve applied to the University of North Texas in Dallas,” Shaw said. “I just had my tour.” 

NE student Richard Colon Rivera plans to do a little bit of traveling.

“My plans for summer are to go to San Antonio, or if at all possible, San Diego, California,” Rivera said. “I have some family over there that me and my family want to visit so that we can have some great time together as a family.”

TR student Milo Koenig said he plans to do a ton of stuff with the Drama Club over the summer.

“As president pro tem [for the time being] of TCC TR’s Drama Club, we plan to hold weekly meetings, auditions and rehearsals over the summer, so I’ll undoubtedly be spending quite a bit of time on that,” Koenig said. “I was also recently hired for a part-time position at Hurricane Harbor, so I’ll be spending my summer working, playing and spending time with friends.”