Serving the Tarrant County College District

Forum to address politics

Question-and-answer sessions about political parties in Texas will continue for two days next week on South Campus.
   The political forum for South Campus students will feature several speakers and the new South Campus Young Democrats chapter. Christi Dayley-Carroll, South Campus social sciences department government instructor, will serve as host.
   Speakers include Thomas Wilder, Tarrant County district clerk, elected official; John White, 324th family district court judge and attorney; Mark J. Green, former U.S. congressional candidate, public interest author and lawyer; Cass Calloway, Tarrant County Young Democrats president; and Todd Hill, Mid-Cities Young Democrats president.
   The South Campus Young Democrats chapter also will participate.
   The first session is Wednesday, Feb. 22, 11 a.m.–2 p.m. in the SSTU Living Room. The forum continues Thursday, Feb. 23, 11 a.m.-3:30 p.m. in the Rotunda Auditorium.
   Scott Young, South Campus Young Democrats vice president, said he would like to see a Democrat back in office and the Democrats take back the House and the Senate.
   “ Living in a very Republican county, I would like to see the Democratic platform and the planks of that platform be put out there so people will understand exactly where the Democrats are coming from,” he said. “We’re real good about saying the other party is bad or their beliefs are wrong.”
   Young said the club represents younger Democrats. He said the forum would help young people see the party has a platform for them and give them an arena to express their political beliefs.
Students interested in signing up for the South Campus chapter can contact Dayley-Carroll at 817-515-4638.