movie reivew-Non-Stop combat thriller features twists, explosions

By Ben Heath/reporter

Photo courtesy Universal Pictures  Liam Neeson stars in Non-Stop as Bill, an air marshal and former police officer who tries to protect the lives of passengers in danger of a mass killer on an international flight. Award-winning actresses Julianne Moore and Lupita Nyong’o also appear in the film.
Photo courtesy Universal Pictures Liam Neeson stars in Non-Stop as Bill, an air marshal and former police officer who tries to protect the lives of passengers in danger of a mass killer on an international flight. Award-winning actresses Julianne Moore and Lupita Nyong’o also appear in the film.

Non-Stop is a surprising close quarter action-thriller full of plot twists and dialogue to keep the audience guessing.

Non-Stop tells the story of Bill (Liam Neeson), a former police officer who because of his drinking and family issues has turned to the slow career of an air marshal in hopes of a little more peace in his daily routine. But when one of his passengers on an international flight threatens to start killing other passengers every 20 minutes until he/she gets a ransom, Bill is forced to bring his old life back 25,000 feet in the air.

With a few big names such as Julianne Moore and recent Academy Award winner Lupita Nyong’o, this compact thriller is full of possible friends or enemies each selling a convincing argument.

Although Non-Stop is in a category normally known less for its dialogue and more for the number of explosions, director Juame Collet-Serra finds a way to create a very tense, unique situation that will keep audiences on the edge of their seats. Even with such a small setting, Non-Stop still finds a way to hide the killer in a way that makes viewers want to pinch themselves for not knowing all along.

Neeson, though, needs a change of pace. Even though he has found a niche in the retired cop roles, nothing in Non-Stop stands out to make the audience feel any different toward his character than they’re used to.

Although a predictable plot, Non-Stop is a surprisingly great close-combat action thriller with a plot to keep one guessing until the very end.