South to host chili cook-off at tech fair

By Julissa Treviño/reporter

The South Campus student chapter of the American Design Drafting Association will hold its second annual ADDA Chili Cook-off and Computer-Aided Drafting Fair.

“ We encourage everyone to participate,” Margaret Debenport, TCC instructor and program coordinator for CAD and ADDA sponsor, said.

Anyone, TCC student or not, can get involved by either being a chili cook or a tasting judge.

The cook-off will be Thursday, Nov. 8, at noon in the Student Center Dining Room.

The competition fee is $10 while sampling and judging are $3.

Those who sign up to judge the event will receive tickets to sample each chili, and they will mark a judging card to determine the winners of the cook-off.

Three winners will receive gift certificates to Lowe’s Home Improvement: $100 for first place, $75 for second place and $50 for third place.

The cook-off will provide scholarships to CAD students while getting the community involved, Debenport said.

“ [The event] teaches leadership and teamwork to the students planning it,” she said.

ADDA is a professional organization for drafters, designers, engineers and others.

The student organization began on South Campus 15 years ago through the computer-aided design program to help students get exposed to industry professionals. It was reestablished in 2002.