Entertainment Calendar

DANCE

April 26 The NW dance program will present So You Think You Can Dance. Students, faculty and staff are invited to show off their dance moves. The competition will be judged, and prizes will be awarded. Contestants can choose their own genre of dance and perform a solo, a duet or as a group. The event will begin at 11 a.m. in the Dance Studio (WHPE 1103). Reservations are required for dance entries. Admission is free. For questions and registration, call dance associate professor Lacreacia Sanders at 817-515-7692.

April 28 NW modern dance classes and the Mosaic Dance Project will perform a series of dance works that highlights the beauty of the campus. Performances will begin at 1 p.m. on the front lawn and running trail by the lake. Admission is free, and reservations are not required.

April 29-30 The South Campus dance program will present its sixth annual Kaleidoscope Dance Concert. The event will feature members of the Velocity I and Velocity II dance companies in original works choreographed by dance instructor Gypsy Ingram and members of the company. The concert will begin at 7:30 p.m. in SPAC Carillon Theatre. Admission is free for TCC students, faculty and staff and $5 for general admission.

April 30 The South Campus dance program will present a concert featuring students from technique classes ranging in style from ballet to hip-hop and modern. The concert will begin at 2:30 p.m. in SPAC Carillon Theatre. Tickets are $1.

May 6 TCC dance students, TCC NW Dance Company and the Mosaic Dance Project will perform modern, jazz, hip-hop, Latin-ballroom and ballet pieces in Assorted Pieces 1-3 p.m. in Theatre Northwest. Tickets are $1 at the door.

THEATER 

Now-May 1 Theatre Arlington presents Ain’t Misbehavin’, a musical by jazz legend Thomas “Fats” Waller. Written and produced in the ’20s, the musical takes the audience back to a time when Manhattan nightclubs were a playground for swing music. Tickets are $22. Discounts are available for students, seniors and groups of 10 or more. Shows begin at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, 8 p.m. Friday-Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday. Parental discretion is advised. For more information and tickets, call 817-275-7661 or visit www.theatrearlington.org.

April 27-May 1 Theatre Northwest will perform Vanities, a play about how close friends in high school too often grow apart afterward. Kathy, Joanne and Mary have all gone their separate ways, are involved with the same man and have no interest in cheerleading, their former bond. Shows will begin at 7 p.m. Wednesday-Friday and 2 p.m. Sunday. Tickets are $6 for general admission, $3 for non-TCC students and free for TCC students, faculty and staff.

April 28-30 SE Campus’ drama program will present Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat at 8 p.m. Thursday, 2 and 8 p.m. Friday and 8 p.m. Saturday in the C.A. Roberson Theatre. The musical is free to TCC students, faculty and staff, $6 for general public and $3 for senior citizens and non-TCC students. For more information, contact drama associate professor Pert Durapau at 817-515-3722.

MUSIC
April 26 The Northwest Choir Spring Concert will include jazz, Renaissance and music by American composers. The free concert will begin at 7 p.m. in WFAB 1105.

April 29-30 Chamber Music International will present the fifth concert of its 2010-2011 silver anniversary season. The event will include performances of the eerie “Ghost” Trio by Beethoven, the pyrotechnics of Martinu and the greatest post-Romantic chamber work of the 20th century. The concert will also include violinist Cho-Liang Lin, pianist Joyce Yang, violist Paul Neubauer and cellist Eric Kim. Performances will be 8 p.m. Friday at St. Barnabas Presbyterian Church in Richardson and 8 p.m. Saturday at Caruth Auditorium at Southern Methodist University. Tickets are $30 for adults, $23 for seniors and $10 for students. For more information, call 972-385-7267 or visit www.cmi-now.org.

May 15-22 Arts District Chorale will conclude its 2010-2011 season with two performances of Broken Boundaries and Ancient Lands: An American Quilt. Both will reveal aspects of the cataclysmic encounters of ancient and modern cultures in the Americas while incorporating storytelling and a profound sense of place. The first performance will take place at 2:30 p.m. May 15 at the Perkins Chapel on the Southern Methodist University campus. The second performance, sponsored by the Waxahachie Symphony Association, will take place at 3 p.m. May 22 at the historic Chautauqua Auditorium in Waxahachie. For May 15 tickets and information, visit www.artsdistrictchorale.org. For May 22 tickets and information, visit www.waxahachiesymphony.com.

ART

Now-April 22 SE Campus presents Ryder Richards: Pow[d]er, a collection of expansive, monumental art installations exploring themes of power and violence through drawings, sculptures and paintings. The exhibit is in Art Corridor II during normal college operating hours and is free to the public. For more information, contact Christopher Blay, instructional associate, at 817-515-3406.

Now-April 30 The Visual Art Student Exhibition is up in the Lakeview Gallery on NW Campus. The exhibit includes student works from six categories: painting, drawing, ceramics, sculpture, design and digital art. The categories will be judged by Janet Chaffee, art adjunct professor at the University of Texas at Arlington, and awards given out 11 a.m.-2 p.m. April 30.

Now-May 2 The NE Campus Exposure Photo Club presents its annual student photography exhibition in College Hall (NCAB 1111). Visitors can see the exhibit 8 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Saturday. Admission is free. An artists’ reception is scheduled 6-8:30 p.m. April 20 in College Hall.

April 21 The NE Association of Potters and Sculptors will hold a Mad Potter’s Tea 2-4 p.m. outside near the chessboard. The annual tea party features teapots and vessels made by students.

April 27 Students can talk with the creators of the sculptures outside WFAB and eat free pizza baked in one of the sculptures during the Spring Reception at the Northwest Sculpture Park near the south entrance of WFAB. The reception will start at 11 a.m., and artist talks will begin at 12:30 p.m.

SPECIAL EVENTS  

April 30, May 1, May 3 Vandergriff Pictures will return to 1965 transforming LaGrave Field into Arlington’s old Turnpike Stadium, home of the Dallas-Fort Worth Spurs. In partnership with the Fort Worth Cats Baseball, community residents are invited to be a part of a film experience honoring the men who brought Major League Baseball to North Texas. Filming will be noon-4 p.m. Saturday, 10 a.m.-noon and 1-4 p.m. Sunday and 9 a.m.-noon Tuesday. Filming will include guest appearances and door prizes. To confirm attendance, call 817-277-7104 or e-mail vandergriffpictures.casting@gmail.com.