Clear skies forth for NW sailing program

Sam Torres
reporter

Back to in-person learning means students can once again be part of the sailing program.
“It’s not easy, but it’s fun,” NW student Camille Escobar said. “It’s good for a new experience.”

She is taking this class for extra credit, and she hopes to use this knowledge for future travel destinations.

The program is available during the summer and in the fall.

“To me, it’s like camp TCC,” NW adjunct kinesiology professor Dana Latham said.

Growing up near White Rock Lake in Dallas, Latham used to sail with her brother there.

After teaching sailing for 10 years, her passion for outdoor activities continues to this day.

After taking this course, students will know each function of the boat, sailing terms, knot tying, how to read the wind and waves and they will learn how to upright the vessel in case of an emergency, Latham said.

“I just find it relaxing, just being out in the water,” NW student Zac Mactaggart said.

Working toward a marine biology degree, Mactaggart said it will benefit him to know how to sail as some of his classes will be in the water.

One of the advantages of working with Hobie Cats, which are like small watercrafts, is that students will know what to do, Latham said.

On windy days, canoes, stand-up paddleboards and kayaks are an alternative.

Alex Hoben/The Collegian
Three boats driven by students in Dana Latham’s intro to sailing class playing a game of dodgeball and capture the flag in the water on NW Campus.

NW student Ryley Schneider said he recommends this class to those who like to be challenged by something uncomfortable. It takes a lot of practice, but it is rewarding sailing across the lake.

Schneider said the best part about this class is learning how to make turns with 14 mph winds. He was smiling ear-to-ear and said he felt joy when he overcame this task, which he was not sure he would achieve.

For students concerned about safety, there are three certified lifeguards on duty, one on land and two in the water during each class.

An inflatable rescue boat similar to what firefighters use is their latest addition. The TCC fire department taught them the proper use and maintenance of the boat.

Besides canoeing and paddleboarding, they set up a course for Olympic Racing.

NW kinesiology lab manager Sarah Matlock said at this time, there are no arrangements to organize any water sports events for the spring.