Driven by creativity

Preparing students for future careers

Juan Salinas II

[metaslider id=47493]

NE is home to the graphic communication department — the only one districtwide.

The department focuses on setting the foundation for a career in graphic design. Lynn Dally, the coordinator of the graphic communication program, was working in the industry when designs were handmade instead of using technology.

“My goal is for each student to have an appreciation for the graphics profession by recognizing that it is not at all an easy major to pursue,” Dally said.

Graphic design is a highly competitive field and takes on many different forms. Texas is the fourth in the nation with job openings for graphic designers, according to the U.S. Bureau Of Labor Statistics. Graphic design is incorporated into things like web pages, magazine covers, billboards, social media posts and so on.

“If they have knowledge of its difficulty, then they may understand why the costs can be high, deadlines tight and the standards rigorous,” Dally said. “These are essential requirements of the ever-trending field of visual communication. Its influence is boundless.”

When the field adapted to a digital age, Dally had to deal with a major learning curve. There was no instruction for new software.

“This is what drives my desire to ensure that students have an understanding of how the technology works, along with applying the principles of good design,” she said. “I teach students to use their critical thinking skills to problem solve the real-world advertising challenges they will encounter when they move into a graphic design career.”

Dally doesn’t like using the same projects and is always looking for ways to tweak them toward the skill set for each class she teaches.

“It is gratifying watching students having that light bulb moment where their solutions go beyond what they have seen before and they have the skills to execute that idea at a professional level,” Dally said.

NE student Jada Gray intends to get a bachelor’s degree in graphic design. She said the instructors in the department are passionate. Gray obtained a paid internship with help from the department and has been working for them since the summer.

“I have learned a lot from working them,” she said.

NE student Taquanton “Cortez” Johnson has been working on an album cover for a local artist called “Cemo.” Johnson is passionate about art and feels like this program is going to take his work to the next level, making him ready to secure a job in the industry.

“I like when people can admire art,” he said. “It gives us artists sense of belonging and purpose.”

Instructor of graphic communication Sean Fousheé said many students come in not wanting to be designers, animators or page layout artists.

“However, I hope my students learn to appreciate these parts of our industry, enjoy the creative process by producing client-ready projects while expanding their knowledge and creativity in ways they did not expect,” Fousheé said.