Trick or Treat at Trinity River

Madison King
reporter

Fall got into full swing with more than a few frightful faces coming out to the Trick or Treat at Trinity River Oct. 29. 

Originally called “Trick or Treat on Main Street,” this year’s version of the event took place outside to allow for a safer experience for students and staff. 

“In moving outside, we plan to provide the same great experience with some added entertainment bonuses such as a costume contest, face painters and caricature artists,” Eddie Brassart, TR assistant director of student development services and event organizer said via email. 

The trick or treating started at 5:30 p.m. on the double level plaza in front of the Clear Fork and West Fork buildings. Tables were aligned on either side of the sidewalks that cross through the plaza allowing costume-clad parents and their children to leisurely stroll from table to table filling their goodie bags with treats while enjoying the crisp autumn breezes of the evening. 

“It’s great! We love it!” said Monet Coupland, a TR student in the central sterile processing program. “My kids are having a blast, so it’s great.” This was Coupland’s first year at the event, and she brought her husband and two children to enjoy the festivities as a family. 

The tables handing out candy were manned by students and faculty who were happy to help and talk about services offered at TR.  

“They asked me if I wanted to do a table here, and I said, ‘Yes,’” TR veterans counselor Angel Ayala said at the event. 

Ayala, who was dressed as Spock from Star Trek, was one of many volunteers helping to pass out candy to trick-or-treaters as well as informing people of the Veterans Resource Center on campus. 

“I decided to bring all our stuff from the Vet Center to represent the Vet Center, but I see that it’s actually a lot of fun to just represent TCC just in a fun way,” he said.

A myriad of colorful costumes and characters were on display among the children in attendance. From frightening comic book creatures like “Venom” to the iconic cuddly “Minions” to well recognized video game characters like Link of the “Legend of Zelda” series. 

Plenty of adults got in on the fun as well. Victor Reyes, a TR student in the criminal justice program, showed off his cosplay as Crypto from the popular battle-royale-hero shooter game “Apex Legends.” Also, highly detailed and elegant Dia de los Muertos costuming was on display.