Universities collaborate on NE Campus for transfer event

NE student Alfonso Quiroz at the University of Arkansas at the Road Trip fair. Ariel Desantiago/The Collegian
NE student Alfonso Quiroz at the University of Arkansas at the Road Trip fair.
Ariel Desantiago/The Collegian

XAVIER BOATNER
xavier.boatner@my.tccd.edu

NE Campus partnered with universities from across the state to help inform students of transfer opportunities. 

NE special services coordinator Traci Head hosted the Road Trip Fair event on Oct. 12. Representatives from multiple universities came together to offer students information about the transfer process.

“The Road Trip Fair, hosted by NE, was created to provide information and build connections for students who hope to transfer to institutions outside the DFW area,” Head said. 

She said the goal of the fair was to help students learn about the opportunities presented to them by different universities, and motivate them to learn more about the transfer process.

“I hope students who attend the Road Trip Fair are able to learn about universities and programs,” Head said. “We want to encourage students to dream big, gain practical knowledge and build relationships that will be essential as they start the transfer process.”

Head said the event could provide students with the information needed to pursue future educational endeavors.

“Many students plan to continue their education beyond TCC in pursuit of bachelor’s, master’s and other professional degrees,” she said. “This event provides the type of information and resources students need to be successful.”

NE transfer center coordinator Alicia Thomas said she hoped that the event helped students become aware of the transfer process and start thinking about what resources to use.

“It’s important for students to start thinking about the transfer process and possibly connect with the transfer center or the advising office,” Thomas said. “It gives students a chance to meet a university representative that is out of state and start that connection and conversation.”

University of Arkansas transfer admissions counselor Natthaphat Watthanaphuti said his goal was to make sure students felt comfortable learning about the transfer process.

“If they’re looking to transfer to a particular place, we want to make sure they feel at home and understand all the information and scholarships and stuff like that given to them,” Watthanaphuti said. “We want to set information straight and give you all the information we have. We want to give information that can be beneficial to students here in Texas.”

Watthanaphuti said he’d appreciate seeing more events like the Road Trip Fair for students to engage with in the future.

“I’d like to see more fun events,” Watthanaphuti said. “When we talk about transfer, it’s put on the back burner for many school events. I’d like to see things that are more interactive when it comes to transfers. This way, more students can attend and understand the importance of learning about opportunities elsewhere.”

NE student Alexander Nowroodi enjoyed the atmosphere of the event and said TCC should host more events.

“I like how open it is and how everyone’s kind of just out in front of you,” Nowroodi said. “It’s down the hall so you have to go through it and it makes it easier to talk to people. They’re all very open and ready to talk to you, so you can learn a lot of things just like that.”

Grand Canyon University event representative Shawn Smith said it’s important for students to know what their options are and why they matter in the long term.

“Not every university is right for every student,” Smith said. “It’s important for students to be well-informed about what their options are in terms of degree plans to get them to a point where they can achieve their career goals long term.”

Smith said there should be more events for students to attend and that it’s important for students to get help as they progress in their education.

“I think it would be helpful to have an event for students that are very close to graduation,” Smith said. “That is when you’re really getting ready to take that next step, and so I think it would be important to help them through that process.”

Arizona State University marketing operations manager Elizabeth McCuller said she hoped the fair allowed students to see what’s available to them.

“No matter what they choose to study, what their background is, what they’re looking to do in the future, there are always options,” McCuller said.