NW microbiology students talk fleas

NW students probably learned more about fleas than they ever wanted to know as microbiology students shared their knowledge of infectious diseases April 24.

As part of the Turning Point Conference, assistant professor Dena Berg’s microbiology class constructed tri-fold boards on a range of different infectious organisms.

The day centered on the change the flea brought to Europe. Several presenters spoke about the history of the plague, the mathematics involved and climate change.

“This is the first time cultural week has included multiple disciplines,” Berg said.

Berg saw an opportunity to involve her microbiology class in the conference by allowing them to work in pairs to construct boards over certain organisms that cause disease.

“It was interesting and a fun way to spend class time,” said microbiology student Jessica Dugan.

Students presented a range of infectious organisms that cause Lyme disease, gastric ulcers, AIDS, elephantitis and Yesinia pestis, the causative agent of the bubonic plague that killed millions through Europe in the 14th century.

After the speakers were finished with their presentations, microbiology students took their positions beside their posters and waited for students and faculty to approach and ask any questions about the different diseases.

“It was exciting to see the same topic of the bubonic plague that I teach in class discussed by other instructors in a different context,” Berg said. “I mean whoever thought that math could have anything to do with the bubonic plague?”

Emina Gibic