Serving the Tarrant County College District

Students can learn tips about various financial topics on NE

By Adrian Beltran/reporter 

Student debt, credit scores and financial planning are some of the major topics planned for a Nov. 19 seminar on NE Campus.

“The average student debt after graduation is about $40,000,” said Randy Saleh, NE academic advisor and adjunct business instructor who will present the seminar Make Your Month Outlast Your Money.

Saleh said a common scenario for some students who receive grants is to go on a shopping spree for expensive items, such as cell phones or shoes. Then they don’t have the money for textbooks, so they try to solve the problem by taking out high-interest-rate loans, which generates student debt.

Saleh will also discuss credit scores. The seminar will teach participants how to build and maintain a good credit score.

A third topic Saleh will cover is financial planning. He said 70 percent of Americans live paycheck to paycheck. If a sudden expense needs to be made, many people cannot pay for it without using credit cards, which increases debt if not paid immediately.

The seminar is scheduled 12:30-1:30 p.m. in Center Corner (NSTU 1615A). To register, visit http://tccdne.volunteerhub.com. For additional information, contact student activities at 817-515-6234 or ne.studentactivities@tccd.edu.