Outreach to bring bunnies to kids

By Brandy Voirin/reporter

The NE PALS Club needs help spreading some love this Easter.

The club is urging students to do some good by bringing a new or gently used stuffed bunny or bear to school.

“Each spring, the PALS Club does a community outreach project, and this year we’re collaborating with Walnut Grove Elementary in Southlake to help Cook Children’s Medical Center’s Bunny and Bears program,” said Yolanda Bryant, a NE grants and resources specialist.

Students and faculty can locate donation boxes by their bright colors throughout NE campus. Photo by Brendon James/The Collegian
Students and faculty can locate donation boxes by their bright colors throughout NE campus.
Photo by Brendon James/The Collegian

The Bunnies and Bears program was started when 5-year-old Haley Whatley visited a hospital and realized bears were passed out to children instead of bunnies for Easter. Haley started collecting bunnies for hospitals because she thought giving back matters. And the PALS Club feels the same way.

“It’s extremely helpful for our program to give back, and we need students’ help,” Bryant said.

Pastel-colored bunny-adorned boxes are located  around NE Campus. Students, faculty and staff can donate until April 6.