Serving the Tarrant County College District

Winter approaches, students concerned

Kristal Blankinship/The Collegian River Legacy Park in Arlington, spanning 1,300 acres, was blanketed in snow during winter storm Uri.

Juan Salinas II

As winter looms on the horizon, TCC students share their thoughts on the Texas power grid, and whether or not it will be able to sustain another winter storm.

Back in February, Texas faced record-breaking low temperatures and power outages which resulted in a total of 210 storm-related deaths, according to The Texas Department of State Health Services.

The state government was able to pass legislation to overhaul the power grid. The main part of the bill was the weatherization of the power generators to prepare them for extreme weather.

In a poll conducted on The Collegian’s social media, 100% of 31 people said they don’t trust Texas’ power grid to handle another winter storm.

“We didn’t have any power for three days,” NW student Christian McClain said. “I have multiple different family members in different households so it was interesting talking to them back and forth, figuring out who was struggling the most.”

Collegian File Photo

NW student Jeremiah Miller had a different experience.

He said he didn’t have his power go out whatsoever because his house shares a grid with a hospital.

Miller is from Minnesota, so he said he’s seen worse winters than in Texas. While he was amused by the whole situation, he sympathizes with native Texans.

“I understand that they don’t have the infrastructure for it down here,” he said. “This was a really funny thing to experience.”

NW student Kenya Brown took the time without electricity to focus on a creative pursuit. She finished her music album, “Heat,” while cooped up during the storm. She said she was shocked at what she was able to achieve while not glued to her phone.

“Since I couldn’t have my phone, I was able to sit down and marinate with myself,” she said. “I was able to create more songs and poetry.” only time will tell if Texas has learned from their mistakes or we will be left out in the cold again.