BOO at the SSTU gives students spooky night

IRENE DOMINGUEZ
irene.dominguez370@my.tccd.edu

South Campus student activities hosted a Halloween event Oct. 28th. The event called “Boo at the SSTU” was held in the dining hall and attended by students, families and children. 

The Halloween event was a large one that had been in planning for months. There was food, a DJ taking song requests and a projector playing movies to set the scene. 

The event had over 10 different recognized student clubs and TCC organizations in attendance. As well as resources such as the DASHH Prevention Squad. DASHH was offering students gift cards to DoorDash for any student that pledged to not drink after the event that night. 

The Korean culture club was among the different clubs represented at the event. They had club members on hand painting faces and hosting traditional Korean games. Guests could play a traditional folk game from Korea called “Tuho” or pitch-pot.

Tuho is a game of accuracy where the goal is to throw arrows which are called “hwa sal” into a pot called “tuho tong.” The different holes in the pot will earn the player certain points. 

There was a costume contest held for different categories including students, children and staff. Winners walked away with a swag bag prepared by Student Activities. 

There were multiple craft tables offering pumpkin painting and picture making. UTA was hosting a game of plinko and giving out prizes. The Jenkins Garrett Library had a bean bag toss. 

The Photo Bus of DFW was there, and guests could take a few pictures complete with props and a personalized background. 

Sarah Janke, the photographer with Photo Bus, said “People can pick their own backgrounds and dress up however they like and I make their gif. It’s totally customizable and fun.” 

Along with challenging themselves to games, guests could collect candy and prizes from every table. 

Karina Calderon is South Campus’s SGA president and works at the office of student activities. She was part of the staff on hand keeping the party going. 

“Even if you didn’t want to be in the costume contest you could hang out and do the arts and crafts,” she said. 

“The coolest thing I saw was the horror club here. They had their mystery box where the kids were digging for toys and creepy things. It was just spaghetti but I was kinda creeped out,” Calderon said. 

South Campus’ horror club is a newer club and they are dedicated to sharing all things mysterious, macabre and horror with other students. 

Among those that participated in the costume contest were TCC teachers and staff. Some notable costumes among the professors were a jedi from “Star Wars” and Goku from “Dragon Ball Z.”

“You see the professors in class and they are so strict but to see them dressed up, it lightens the mood. A lot of college students don’t get to see that side of them,” Calderon said. 

South Campus student Leslie Rivera was there helping with the event as well.  She took some time to enjoy herself and see what was going on at every table. 

“We had a table here with cookie decorating,” Rivera said. “I helped out for a while, it was fun. I tried the games as well. The one where you have to throw the arrows in the bucket was kind of hard.”

Rivera said her favorite part was watching the kids enjoy themselves. 

“Meeting the little kids and looking at all of their costumes and seeing them act out was cute.” She was dressed as a minion herself. 

There was some uncertainty whether people would come to the event due to the weather that night. There were intermittent showers all day but the rain did not drown out the fun 

“Even with the weather there was a good turnout. There was something to do for everybody here,” Calderon said.