Lofty expectations set for Super Bowl

The 2022 Super Bowl will have the Los Angeles Rams face off against the Cincinnati Bengals at the SoFi Stadium in Los Angeles. Illustration by Abbas Ghor
The 2022 Super Bowl will have the Los Angeles Rams face off against the Cincinnati Bengals at the SoFi Stadium in Los Angeles.
Illustration by Abbas Ghor

Austin Folkertsma
austin.folkertsma@my.tccd.edu

As the 2022 Super Bowl approaches Feb.13, students are excited to see how it plays out between the Cincinnati Bengals and Los Angeles Rams.

“The best part of the Super Bowl is the hype,” NE student Justin Rohm said. “Both teams deserve the victory.” 

Rohm is excited that for once, the Super Bowl won’t consist of Tom Brady or Patrick Mahomes.

“[Matthew] Stafford was on a shit team for many seasons, but now, he’s on a solid team and finally he’s getting the recognition he deserves. The Bengals haven’t won anything since 1988, until now, hopefully. ‘Who dey,’” Rohm said, repeating the Bengals’ chant.  

NE student Angel de la Cruz said he is excited to watch Eminem, Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, Kendrick Lamar and Mary J. Blige in the halftime show. All five performers combined have 43 Grammys. 

“I am mostly looking forward to the Bengals knocking off the Rams because the Rams beat my 49ers on Championship Sunday,” NE student Kaden Welch said. 

Welch is also anticipating the face-off between Bengals and Rams’ quarterbacks, Joe Burrow and Matthew Stafford. 

NE student Jason Holly is a Detroit Lions fan but is proud of the Bengals. He said it’s their time to win because it’s been 30 years since they made it to a Super Bowl. 

Holly is hoping former Lions quarterback and current Rams quarterback Matthew Stafford gets his Super Bowl ring because former Lions player Ndamukong Suh got his last year. 

“I personally don’t have a favorite team, but I did grow up in a big family where football was a staple in our household,” NE student Toni Gonzales said. “I’m most excited for the inevitable Super Bowl party and being surrounded by family and close friends.” 

Gonzales loves watching the halftime show and is looking forward to having a good time. 

“I am optimistic about the Super Bowl because I am able to see friends and spend some time with them,” NE student Richard Colón Rivera said.

Rivera expressed that although he doesn’t like parties, he likes Super Bowl parties and watching people from opposing sides root for their respective teams while sharing laughs.

“I am excited for the Rams to play at their home stadium and the Bengals to win,” NE student Ashley Ryan said.