Northwest Hip-Hop Dance Workshop

Vanessa Johnson
reporter

NW Campus dance students broke a sweat during an intense workout at a hip-hop dance workshop on Oct. 14. 

“It was really challenging in a good way, forcing me to do something that I don’t always do,” NW student Iyana Washington said about the class.

At the workshop, students learned various hip-hop dances and then pieced them together by memory to make full dance routines afterward. Students also learned context about the dances they were repeating. 

“I really wanted them to have fun and surround them with support from their peers,” dance artist Chely Jones said. “I wanted to introduce new forms along with their lineage, history and context so the students can take that with them and move forward with their education.” 

Jones, who was the guest dance artist for the workshop, is a graduate student at Texas Woman’s University. She is an educator and researcher of hip-hop and street dancing as well as a dance teacher and freelancer. 

“We bring in well-rounded guest artists every year,” NW dance associate professor Amy Jennings said. “It is important that students are learning from a variety of guests.” 

NW, like other campuses, offers a dance program where students can learn dance techniques and choreography as well as dance theory. In connection with the program, dance workshops are planned for students as well as anyone  interested in learning different dance styles. 

“The class was awesome,” student Karen Campuzano said. “I took away many new skills.” 

Campuzano loves to dance mostly for the fun of it. She wants to keep learning new movements and styles. She is a part of the campus’ Mosaic Dance Project, which focuses on students performing in the community.  

Dancing also has health benefits, program coordinator and associate professor Lacreacia Sanders said.  

“In order to keep moving, you have to keep moving,” Sanders said. 

Sanders, who also works on the Mosaic Dance Project, explained that dancing helps with physical health as well as mental health and can act as a stress relief. 

Jones also encourages students to have fun with dancing but to also make time for self-care.

Jones didn’t always have the confidence she has now about her hip-hop dancing. She said when she first started her journey, she was worried about being judged because of her race. No matter the circumstances, Jones encourages students to go after what they are passionate about. 

“If you are willing to put in the work, research, hours and training, then go for it,” she said.