Board accepts date change, new plans

By Lindsey Bever/editor-in-chief

Tarrant County College graduates will receive their diplomas five days earlier this year.
   The Tarrant County College Board of Trustees approved the proposal to reschedule TCC’s graduation for May 12. In the monthly board meeting last week, Bill Lace, executive assistant to the chancellor, said the board hopes to encourage more faculty participation by scheduling graduation for the last day of the semester.
   The board also approved the schematic plans for the Downtown Campus with a guaranteed maximum price of $234 million. However, Bobby McGee, District 4 representative of West Fort Worth, Azle, Haslet, Keller, Watauga, North Richland Hills and Haltom City, was reluctant to approve the proposal for fear TCC would extend its budget.
   Michael Heeney, Bing Thom Architects project director, presented the campus’ plans to the board.
   Heeney showed the schematics of the north and south campuses, located on either side of the Trinity River and covering a multi-block area. The model revealed welcome centers stationed on each campus, a conference center, student services and a library.
   Heeney also pointed out four food services areas scattered throughout the twin campuses and showed plans for a food court with rooftop seating.
   Dr. David Wells, provost, said TCC estimates 7,500 projected students. However, the campus enrollment could increase to 10,000, Wells said.
   Greg Ritenour, project manager, said TCC will construct more buildings as the college grows.
   Dr. Leonardo de la Garza, chancellor, said the budget control systems are in place. The district will develop the appropriations request to start funding for the downtown campus operations and submit it to the Legislature.
   Although the college is currently in the planning phase, TCC hopes to break ground on the new campus in the summer of 2006.
   The Downtown Campus plans extend through 2008 and into 2009, but will open in the fall of 2008 with approximately 395,770 gross square feet of space.
   In other action, the board granted tenure to 16 instructors.
   Faculty given tenure include Ehikoya Agboaye, SE associate professor of government; Chris Baack, SE assistant professor of geology; Anitra Blayton, NE associate professor of art; Don Braziel, NE assistant professor of surgical technology; Pati Cates, NE assistant professor of child development; and Kathy Friscia, South assistant professor of nursing.
   Others receiving tenure are Ernest Gines, SE assistant professor of computer science; Bob Glick, NW assistant professor of criminal justice; Charlotte Hill, NE assistant professor of physics; John Kidd, NW assistant professor of computer science; and Darlene Marks, South assistant professor of music.
   Concluding the list are Joyce McClaine-Rineer, South assistant professor of nursing; Robert Mc-Kizzie, SE assistant professor of economics; Leslee Shannon Smith, South assistant professor of English; Noble Lee Snaples, South associate professor of history; and Woody Wu, South associate professor of computer science.
   The next board meeting is scheduled for Feb. 16 on South Campus.