Advance on Mental Health First Aid

Collegian+Logo
Collegian Logo
October 16, 2019 | Rene Herrera | reporter

NW Campus will present a Mental Health First Aid interactive certification course that teaches students how to help someone who is developing a mental health problem.

Facilitated by licensed professional counselors Brentom Jackson and Paula Manning the event will teach students to identify, understand and respond to signs of mental illness, and addiction.

Christina Martinez, coordinator of special services, said the course will be held from 8 a.m.-5 p.m Oct. 18 in WCTS 1133.

The course introduces participants to risk factors and warning signs of mental health concerns, builds an understanding of their impact and provides an overview of treatments. The role-playing and simulations will help teach those tools, according to the Mental Health First Aid website.

Mental Health First Aid is an internationally recognized training course sponsored once a year at TCC by NW advising and counseling, Jackson said.

Attendees will have to stay for the full eight hours to be eligible for certification. Faculty and staff must register via the TCC Learning Center. Seating is limited, the event is free and lunch will be provided.