Students kick off beginning of fall semester at Welcome Week event

NE students Isabel Soto, Mallory Sanders, Hyun Jung Chang and Elida Saucedo perform a kickline at Welcome Week. Rabbia Molai/The Collegian
NE students Isabel Soto, Mallory Sanders, Hyun Jung Chang and
Elida Saucedo perform a kickline at Welcome Week.
Rabbia Molai/The Collegian

RABBIA MOLAI
managing editor
rabbia.molai@my.tccd.edu

NE campus kicked off their first week of classes with a plethora of Welcome Week events, one of which was well received by students.

On Thursday, Aug. 25th, the student activities center held a party on the plaza outside the NSTU. There was free pizza from Jet’s Pizza as well as a buffet set up from Genuine Foods with mini-pizzas and baked goods.

Along with the food stations, the entire center corner was scattered with tables from all sorts of clubs and organizations on campus for students to be able to interact with. From stickers to stress balls the student center was filled with booths waiting to give away prizes and bring in student interest. However, it wasn’t just TCC staff running these booths.

Many of the organizations on campus are student-led and this was their first opportunity of the semester to shine. One such participant was NE student Mallory Sanders, who is a member of the dance club and part of the team representing their booth at the event.

“People don’t usually go online to check out the events, but here we’re right in people’s face. Like you have to walk by us to get to your classes, so it’s a good opportunity to show what all we offer,” Sanders said.

She also spoke about how the event was an opportunity for her on a personal level to overcome her shyness and come out of her shell.

“I overcame my social anxiety and talked to someone about the dance club that I’m a part of, so it’s a nice start to the year,” she said.

Along with the students working the event, it seemed that the attendees were also enjoying themselves. NE student Lillyah Snipes was excited to get a jump-start on the fall semester with Welcome Week.

“I thought it was pretty cool and amazing to do these types of events and see all the different clubs and organizations,” Snipes said.

Much like Snipes fellow NE student Andrea Rodgers also had a similar outlook on the event. Rodgers was particularly excited because most of her classes were on the far side of campus, so she enjoyed being able to see everyone gathering and having the opportunity to see more of what the campus has to offer.

“It’s actually really cool to see what they do on the college campuses,” Rodgers said. “I feel like you can actually get to know people better and you can make more friends.”

According to Sanders, students used this Welcome Week event as a way to not only kick-off a new semester and see what NE Campus has to offer but more importantly as a way to get out of their shells and try something new.