Trailblazers take flag football crown on NE without loss

By Selby Lopez/reporter

The Trailblazers won two games Nov. 20 to win the NE Campus flag football championship.

The Trailblazers defeated DFW Elite, 36-26, to finish the tournament without a loss.

After a blowout win earlier in the day, the Trailblazers looked early on to do the same to DFW Elite until it mounted a comeback.

DFW Elite team captain Jordan Hornbuckle played with an energy that fueled the defense while receiver Isaac Rios had two consecutive touchdown receptions.

Hornbuckle and Rios helped close the gap quickly, making it a four-point game at 30-26 in the second half. But they couldn’t get any closer.

“You have to give them [Trailblazers] credit. They played well,” Hornbuckle said. “But you got to give us some too because we didn’t go away easily like some other teams did.”

In the first semifinal game, DFW Elite defeated Team Two, 30-6.

Team Two receiver Trey Schrimscher said if he had more balls thrown his way, the outcome may have been different.

“Our offense was out of sync like the [San Francisco] 49ers,” Schrimscher said. “When they blitzed the quarterback, the ball should have been thrown to me or the other receivers. We were wide open.”

Team One, which had won an earlier game against the Raiders, 22-14, advanced to the semifinals but lost when the Trailblazers dismantled its defense. The Trailblazers coasted to a victory over Team One, 46-0.