Students begin preparing for another potential winter storm

South students walk around campus in large jackets during low temperatures. Photo by Joel Solis/The Collegian
South students walk around campus in large jackets during low temperatures.
Photo by Joel Solis/The Collegian

Collegian staff

After one of Texas’ biggest snowstorms last February, there are concerns from the community that Texas will have a repeat of last year. 

Students weigh in on what they think might happen and share ways they believe Texas can be better equipped if it were to happen again. 

“I have a lot of reason to believe we will have another storm, and I think it could possibly be a little worse,” NE student Raul Garcia said. 

He said he would like to see the city cooperate with the people on the grids because, if it happens again, a lot of lives will be lost again. 

“Buy some wood, get one of those burners that is used for cookouts and get a propane tank,” Garcia said. “That’s what my family did, and we stocked up on wood when we didn’t have power.” 

He said he would like to see people come together and help those that are not fortunate enough to brave snowstorms. 

NE student Justin Rohm said he does not think we will have another snowstorm as big as it was last year for a while.

“We can drip our faucets, but we can never change how Texas is built,” he said. “There are no salt trucks. The roads are not built for snow or ice, so if it happens again, we will not be prepared for it.” 

NE student Jesus Carreon does think we will have another storm but doesn’t think it will be as severe.

“I’m not prepared at all with this bipolar weather,” Carreon said. “We never actually know when it’ll actually hit the hardest. I need to do things different from last time, especially with traffic.”

Carreon will be stocking up on things in preparation for a potential storm.

“I think it would be really difficult avoiding this without help from the state,” he said. “For example, they need to be prepared on salting the roads ahead of time.”

NE student Graham Spencer also thinks another winter storm may occur. 

“The local government and electrical companies should have bolstered their systems since last year,” he said. “I am going to prepare for the next snowstorm to happen by buying extra food and canned goods.” 

NE student Daniel D’Amore is on the opposite end. He doesn’t think a storm like last year will happen because he said it was an anomaly in Texas’ history. 

“Last time we had snow and temperatures like that, other than last year, was in 1989, so it is unlikely because of the way the climate is changing,” he said. “If we do have one, we must be prepared with copious amounts of water jugs, space heaters and new water pipes in houses.”

Campus editors Austin Folkertsma and Meghan Schilling contributed to this story